Plastic Surgery in Costa Rica
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery reported that more than 1.6 million Americans had plastic surgery in 2011. This is less than .005% of the population. This statistic, however, only accounted for those receiving surgery within the United States. In addition to that figure, thousands of Americans have gone abroad to receive plastic surgery. As most insurance plans do not cover elective cosmetic surgery, Americans have to pay out of pocket to receive treatment. Previously, this meant that elective cosmetic surgery was exclusively for the upper class. Medical tourism has changed that and made cosmetic surgery more affordable for the average American. Costa Rica is a hot tourist destination for medical procedures including plastic surgery.
Reasons to get Plastic Surgery in Costa Rica
There are many reasons why Americans and other foreigners opt to get cosmetic surgery in Costa Rica. Some of those reasons include:
· Affordability. The cost of most plastic surgeries in Costa Rica is far lower than it is in America. Traveling to Costa Rica can save a patient thousands of dollars, even after including the price of air tickets and stay.
· Proximity. There are many medical tourism destinations around the world, but Costa Rica is a good option for Americans because it is only a short flight away from most major cities in the United States.
· Reliability. The presence of a large number of internationally-accredited hospitals has bolstered medical tourism in Costa Rica. This helps a patient verify the credibility of the hospital with ease.
· Quality. These hospitals have well-educated doctors and nurses on staff who are ready to administer quality healthcare.
· Hospitality. Because there is such an influx of foreigners receiving medical care in Costa Rica, most hospital and clinic staff are very understanding to your situation. They realize that you have traveled away from your home to receive medical treatment and they do everything they can to make you feel comfortable during your stay.